question

dan avatar image
dan asked

Game Center ID weirdness - help needed!

Hi there!

Our app, Roll For It! has been using PlayFab for turn-based multiplayer quite successfully so far. :D

We are currently porting the multiplayer system to our other app, Tsuro, and have noticed some weirdness.

In order to integrate our experience into Apple Game Center, we get the Game Center IDs of the player's friends, and then use GetPlayFabIDsFromGameCenterIDs to turn them into PlayFab IDs so that the player can easily find all his/her friends.

However... this actually retrieves the cross-title Master PlayFab IDs. Which is not good, as it means friends will show up in your list who don't have the game and can't play with you.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is there a setting in the back-end I can adjust?

Thanks,
Dan

Player DataFriends
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

That's an interesting scenario that I don't think we fully envisioned. I'm going to follow up with the team and see if there's an opportunity to provide a way to scope the GetPlayFabIds* calls.

In the interim, you can still attempt to call AddFriend on the returned players and it will fail for those that do not have a title-scoped account.

Additionally, you can use the GetPlayerCombinedInfo call to determine whether or not a player has ever logged into a specific title. If you include the GetUserAccountInfo in the request, we will return a FirstLogin time for any player that has logged into the title before. It will be absent for any user that hasn't.

Please limit these sorts of calls to a one-time import process, though. Attempting to access a single player's data from multiple other players, repeatedly and potentially simultaneously, will quickly run afoul of our throttling logic.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

The essential problem is that the GameCenter ID is not title or application specific. So when you call to get the PlayFab ID for a user from a non-title-specific ID like GameCenter ID, there's no way for us to limit that to a single Title ID (as that information is specifically stored at the Publisher ID level).

0 Likes 0 ·
dan avatar image dan commented ·

Thanks for the tips! I figured I would be able to take the IDs from GetPlayFabIDsFromGameCenterIDs and add them as friends to weed them out. I already have a cloud script that adds list of players... I will use that. And I'll only do it once per session, to avoid excessive bandwidth. Cheers. :D

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.