question

stfuhrm avatar image
stfuhrm asked

Cannot upload new custom server build

Hi all,

I'm having trouble uploading a new custom server build for my game title (planned to be built with UE4). I never managed to do so as I am currently only evaluating PlayFab.

I have tried this in Firefox and Chrome using the Game Manager.

In Firefox the file is uploaded completely but after it shows 100% upload progress the error pops up "The field Max instances per host must be between 1 and 1000." Under the BuildID textfield it says "Build ID is required." similar to the picture in one answer to this thread:

https://community.playfab.com/questions/876/210282247-Custom-server-error-to-upload.html

In Chrome it ends up with the same error, but the progress stops at about 1% before showing it.

I managed to upload a zipped empty text file without getting that error in Firefox.

The file I try to upload is ~2GB zipped and 9GB unzipped. Tried as well with files stripped down to 70MB zipped. Did not work though.

This is currently preventing me to seriously test your framework. With the HTTP API I am getting other errors that I did not investigate further yet because I wanted to focus on evaluating PlayFab itself now and use the API later for automation in case PlayFab is a fit for our use case. So investing time to fix those issues is actually not viable right now.

If anyone else had this issue and can provide info on how to get the upload in the Game Manager running I would be very glad.

Best
Stephen

unrealCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

What Is your Title ID, so that we can have a look? As for "other errors", can you state what those are? PlayFab is almost entirely Web API calls, so it would be good to understand what you're seeing.

7 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

stfuhrm avatar image stfuhrm commented ·

Hi Brendan,

thanks a lot for the fast response. The Title ID is 9DBB.

The manual HTTP Request returns a 403.

<Error><Code>SignatureDoesNotMatch</Code><Message>The request signature we calculated does not match the signature you provided. Check your key and signing method.</Message>

I tried uploading using cURL after retrieving the upload URL (which worked fine):

curl -v --insecure -H "Content-Type:application/zip" --upload-file "{some path}/build1.zip" "https://gamebuild-playfab-live.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/9dbb/0.zip?X-Amz-Expires=3600&x-amz-security-token= {and so on}"

I did not find documentation yet on how to sign the request correctly. Help on this is still welcome though.

Thanks
Stephen

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan stfuhrm commented ·

I'm not seeing a build on the title now - did you delete it already? Also, to be clear, the original issue was that you were getting an error concerning "Max instances". The last time you tried uploading through the Game Manager, you got the "request signature" error, is that right?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hey Brendan,

there is no build yet, right. I did not manage to upload any build ever. Just an empty zipped text file which I immediately deleted afterwards. I can put it back on but I guess it won't give much information.

Also the Max instances issue is a complete seperate one from the Request Signature one. Max instances appears in the Game Manager. The wrong Request Signature error is returned from AWS using the upload url provided by your HTTP API.

I hope this gets clearer now.

Thanks again!
Stephen

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan stfuhrm commented ·

Yes, sorry - I was confusing this with a similar question. The signature is exactly the same as if you were uploading a Content file, so the process described in this post should work fine: https://blog.playfab.com/blog/how-use-playfabs-content-management-api.

So if you upload via the Game Manager, you get both the Build ID error (which should only show up if you don't specify a Build ID, and the max instances error?

0 Likes 0 ·

The guide about the Content Management API is actually the one that I have followed. It does not say anything about signing the file upload to the AWS servers.

Yes, the game manager looks like this after the upload has failed:

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ stfuhrm commented ·

I'm following up with the dev team. That's a weird set of errors.

0 Likes 0 ·

Alright, will do.

Still curious that these smaller files did fail the other day. I actually just wanted to double check that today, and then they just started to work.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.