question

k-krrs avatar image
k-krrs asked

Levels and XP

What is the best way to handle levels in a game with thresholds for levelup (non-linear)? If I need a lot of levels I'll have to add every threshold to cloud script (e.g. Level 1 0-100 / Level 2 100- 500 etc.)

In-Game Economy
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

It depends upon your usage and how you want to manage any changes. In general, I'd prefer putting it into a KVP in Title Data (or title Entity data, if you're using our newer data model). But if you're comfortable just having it as static data at the head of your Cloud Script, that's one less API call you need to make from the script, which is a small savings.

3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

k-krrs avatar image k-krrs commented ·

And what about non-linear progression for XP? As in needing a different amount of XP to level up each sequential level.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan k-krrs commented ·

That's specifically what I meant. If you cannot calculate the XP needed, you'll have to have a table of values. So, you'd store that in Title Data/title Entity data, or just have it as static data in the Cloud Script.

1 Like 1 ·
k-krrs avatar image k-krrs brendan commented ·

Sounds good :) Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.