question

Christopher Clogg avatar image
Christopher Clogg asked

Special or hidden Catalog items?

Hey I've been working through the catalog/item APIs and I was wondering about best practices on the following: if we wanted an item that is only granted by us (ie founder's pack or earned in-game), how do we put it in the catalog whilst simultaneously not allowing it to be bought or seen in our client store?

I was thinking that we could use the Playfab "Store" object rather than Catalog to determine what is shown in the client, so that would solve what is visible. But the Catalog is public right? So certain people could figure out the API and secretly purchase items. For that I was thinking that maybe we need a 2nd virtual currency that only these special items use, but since nobody will have the currency they can't buy the items (thus leaving it to us granting them manually etc).

Does this make sense? Or is there a different way I should be thinking about this.

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

Items that do not have a price in the catalog cannot be purchased by any currency. So, if you have an item that you only want players to acquire through it being granted, leave its pricing data empty and you're good. Players can still retrieve the item data as part of the catalog, but they can't actually acquire it through purchase.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Christopher Clogg avatar image Christopher Clogg commented ·

Ah nice that works, good to know!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.