question

ladislavnevrkla avatar image
ladislavnevrkla asked

Snowflake add-on - extremely slow query

Hi,

I developed a Power BI data model with data from Playfab via Snowflake add-on 2-3 weeks ago. It worked perfectly and 2,8M rows were loaded in 4min roughly (XS size). I wanted refresh it today, but the query didn't finish (I stopped it in Snowflake after 20min). Size of warehouse doesn't influence the performance (tried XS,S,M). It loads quite quickly 2,7M rows (3-4min), but then it nearly stop to work (eg. 100 rows in 10min). Is the add-on working correctly?

Player Datadata
3 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ commented ·

I'm going to follow up with our analytics team and investigate. Can you let me know which title you're working on? Also, could you share the query you're running?

0 Likes 0 ·
ladislavnevrkla avatar image ladislavnevrkla Andy ♦♦ commented ·

It's title_ID 'A71E'. Query is generated by PBI Desktop through ODBC driver. In Snowflake is visible as:

select "EVENT_ID",
"EVENT_NAMESPACE",
"EVENT_NAME",
"ENTITY_ID",
"SOURCE_TYPE",
"TS",
"HISTORY",
"CUSTOM_TAGS",
"RESERVED",
"P",
"TITLE_ID"
from "PLAYFAB_SHARED"."PLAYFAB_SHARED"."PLAYFAB_ARCHIVE_SHARED"
where "EVENT_NAME" = ? and not "EVENT_NAME" is null

? is bind variable, should be 'player_logged_in'. Making explicit view with title_id in where clause as recommended in your docs ("TITLE_ID" = 'A71E') causes extremely slow query anyway - 20k rows in 7mins. And adding "TS" > '2018-08-14' leads to 100 rows in 5mins.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ ladislavnevrkla commented ·

We're looking into the clustering of the master playstream table right now. We've seen a steady increase in bad partitions over the last couple days. It's not affecting large titles, but could have some impact on smaller ones. I'll get back to you when I know more.

It's definitely best practice to include both a TitleId and a timestamp range on queries. If you're seeing poor behavior with those included, I consider it a bug on our side.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

We found and corrected the issue. Everyone should see query times more in line with expectations today.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ladislavnevrkla avatar image ladislavnevrkla commented ·

Hi Andy, worked perfectly on Friday (August 24), but poor performance as before today unfortunately.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for letting us know. The additional alerts we're putting in place for snowflake performance aren't quite ready and it looks like this is a recurrence of the same problems we faced last week. We'll try to get the response times back in line with expectations ASAP.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image
Andy answered

I've been doing some testing on this over the last couple days. I'm currently able to load the last day of your login data in about 90 seconds. If I expand to the last month, it goes up to 15 minutes. Speaking with the analytics team, they seem okay with these numbers.

I encourage you to continue to use a TitleId and TS filter on queries. When the system is behaving properly, it should help query times.

2 comments
10 |1200

ladislavnevrkla avatar image ladislavnevrkla commented ·

Hi Andy, running just now this query:

select "EVENT_ID",
"ENTITY_ID",
"TS",
"P",
"TITLE_ID"
from "PLAYFAB_SHARED"."PLAYFAB_SHARED"."PLAYFAB_ARCHIVE_SHARED"
where "EVENT_NAME" = 'player_logged_in' AND "TITLE_ID" = 'A71E' AND "TS" > '2018-08-16'

and stopped after 10min as it retrieves 1,3K rows only. Which size of WH did you use that you finished in 90s? Thanks and regards

0 Likes 0 ·

I was using a medium but was seeing poor query times again today. I bumped it up to a large and it only marginally improved. I was querying a little over a day of data in about 3.5 minutes. I'm going to re-open my conversation with the analytics team here.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.