question

Montana Tuska avatar image
Montana Tuska asked

Let's talk Unreal Engine(And the Entity API)

I know there is the new API team(pretty stoked about this), so I just thought here would be a good time and place to start to make my comments. Here we go, a round two... Some things may not be about the Unreal implementation specifically, since some things I just want to clear up...

1) The Unreal Engine implementation could really use the ability to handle multiple SessionTokens & the new Entity Tokens.

2) As much as it may not bother others... The fact that the ue4 enums have no separation between the enum name and the value really drives me nuts. And since the new entity enums don't have capitials, it's even harder to read.

3) Figuring out the difference between an Invitation and Application is horrid, since the only descriptions are things like, "Accepts an outstanding invitation to to join a group" and "Accepts an invitation to join a group". Can you guess which is which? I had a handy time trying, while also trying to decipher what Unreal Engine thought each one was.

4) It's strange that groups are restricted to title entity ids and character entity ids, why not just any entity type?

5) What about searching for groups or getting a list of groups with a limit? Doesn't seem to be possible at the moment.

Also, we should add an unreal tag so I could follow that.

Think that's all I've got for the moment. Thanks in advance.

apisentitiesunreal
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Paul Gilmore avatar image
Paul Gilmore answered

Hi Montana Thanks for reaching out. Here is the update on your questions:

1. Yes, this is on our roadmap but we do not have an ETA for the same. Stay tuned for more updates on this.
  2. We understand your concern and acknowledge that it is hard to read. Unreal does not support the combination of Namespaces and Blueprints, so this is hard problem to solve. We will discuss it further internally to get to a better solution.
  3. Thanks for the feedback on the documentation. It would be great if you could share the top 10 items and we will look into them.
  4. This was a short term design limitation that we chose. The system can handle other entity types and we plan to unlock that after the beta period.
  5. Thanks for reporting the issue. This is a feature request and we are happy to put this on our roadmap. The tag has been added.

You can now use the tag "unreal". I've also grabbed some older threads and tagged them appropriately. Thanks again for your feedback

Paul & Sanchit

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.