question

sham-prasher avatar image
sham-prasher asked

Facebook public_profile is enough to get friends' names and scores?

Hi, I switched from the Facebook score API (now depreciated) to Playfab and love it. Feels really streamlined - and it works.

My question is I use FB.LogInWithReadPermissions to login with "public_profile" as the only permission in the list. When I call PlayFabClientAPI.GetFriendLeaderboard I am able to get the scores of friends (test accounts made in Facebook developer).

My question is it seems Playfab only needs to ask for "public_profile" to get friends' names and scores stored in the playfab leaderboard - is this correct? It doesn't need to ask for the Fb "user_friends" permission in FB.LogInWithReadPermissions?

I ask because Facebook is now asking me to update my app review if I want to ask for "user_friends". Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

sdksFriends
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The public profile info is needed to be able to get us the basic ID info we need for sign-in. It's possible that the user's friends list might be returned if all you have set is public_profile in some circumstances, but I wouldn't risk it. I'd make sure to specify user_friends, since that's specifically what they define that permissions to be (allow for query of the user's friends list).

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sham-prasher avatar image sham-prasher commented ·

ok thanks, better to not risk it I guess

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.