question

WESLEY JURICA avatar image
WESLEY JURICA asked

Accessing Shared Group Data through Game Manager

I'm trying to wrap my head around Shared Group Data and would like to view my results inn the Game Manager. When I search for a group in the Shared Group Data section, the group is not found. I've tried using the Group ID and Group Name (for giggles).

I created the group with one member in it. Then search for it and that member is not listed in the shared group data.

I can also type in any gibberish and click search and I'll get the same result. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something major about how SharedGroupData works. Any insights?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Shared Group Data and Groups are unrelated. Shared Group Data is an older data system we added to give developers a way to have, effectively, a player data space that wasn't "owned" by a single player, so that a small number of players could share it for things like game state for a turn-based game. It's a fairly limited system, intended for very small groups (a dozen or less), and where you have to make sure you've designed your update calls to prevent multiple players from trying to update it at the same time.

The data system to use with Groups is the Entity system (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/entities/entity-groups).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.