question

erik avatar image
erik asked

Servers stuck on Initializing. Way to see logs?

A recent build caused our servers to be stuck on Initializing for 10 minutes, then restart.

We've tried reverting to a previous version but the result is the same.

Is there a way to diagnose what's going on?

Are there startup logs available somewhere?

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Thanks for the info, guys. We had some remaining issues from yesterday's update that caused the state where game modes were briefly missing for titles. What happened is that folks who edited their game modes while they were in that state had two sets of data that didn't agree, so that was causing some issues. We've been working through re-touching each of those titles to fix this. If all your game modes are back to the complete set for your title, we should be done with your title. If you're still seeing issues after that, can you let us know?

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Brian Jordan avatar image Brian Jordan commented ·

Unfortunately still happens for us with the latest build version 0.13.0.147.

The game mode is auto-added by our CI OK, but server instances are constantly being spawned & cycle between Initializing / Unavailable every 10 mins or so (bit worried it might accrue charging for each instance cycle but will leave it on for a few in case you want to take a look at its active behavior EDIT: leaving just US-East going for that reason)

Example Unavailable server: 18.207.118.21 2600:1f18:70d:5100:b817:fd85:82aa:e335 ID: i-00b4b293d0cf888d1 USEast

One potential cause idea could be if the AddServerBuildRequest backend was somehow having a similar issue to the Game Mode one and leaving a duplicate default invalid server build config around? It all looks correct in the dashboard UI, but if the DB has another (invalid executable path) default config that gets fed to the server on startup, that might cause it to look for the wrong executable path (gameserver.exe instead of Clone Drone in the Danger Zone.exe which is our game's configured path) which could explain builds going Unavailable only some % of the time

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brian Jordan commented ·

So the issue is that while you had removed and re-set your modes, there was still bad data leftover from the other day. Now that we've completed the cleanup work, can you re-test?

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Jordan avatar image Brian Jordan brendan commented ·

Correct -- tested and seems to be working perfectly now! Thanks very much for the cleanup work and helping sort this out, this is a big relief!

0 Likes 0 ·
Christopher Clogg avatar image Christopher Clogg commented ·

Hey Brendan, was running into this issue yesterday too as I mentioned in the ticket... builds were going Unavailable -> Initializing over and over, and I did notice the game mode was missing randomly. I must have edited it and gotten into that bad state. Anyway today I uploaded a build and it worked fine so I guess it's all good now.

0 Likes 0 ·
erik avatar image erik commented ·

Edit: nevermind. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Jordan avatar image
Brian Jordan answered

Some more details (I'm working with Erik on the title E79E):

• Example build that cycles Initializing/Unavailable trying to start: E79E build 0.13.0.146
  • Example build that used to work, but we tested re-building and it no longer works: E79E build 0.13.0.140
  • Example builds that still work: E79E builds 0.12.2.3 (live game), 0.13.0.141 (live beta branch game)

The servers cycles between "Initializing" and "Unavailable" every 10-15 minutes. We've disabled all regions for the builds that won't start (0.13.0.140, 0.13.0.145 and 0.13.0.146) just in case it's charging for server time each time it is auto-starting.

We also tried uploading a previous version, known working build 0.13.0.140 which also didn't start up, and tried clearing our CI system's cache & got the same issue.

I also tried manually building & running 0.13.0.146 on my PC, and the server starts up on my computer OK. EDIT: tried manually zipping & uploading that to PlayFab and that seems to launch OK. Hmm...

EDIT: Now finding some servers of the existing known working build are giving status Unavailable. Example build 0.12.2.3 (live game) Server ID: i-02d806532e453f1d6

EDIT: Now finding that re-enabling regions for previously non-launching builds (without changing uploaded build file at all) creates both a working Running server and Unavailable one (launched 3 seconds apart)

10 |1200

Maher Khatib avatar image
Maher Khatib answered

Hi there --

I have the same problem. Build is stuck in Initialized. How can we debug that? And how can we do any clean up if necessary (re-answer from @Brendan)? Any help with that would be much appreciated.

BTW -- the server works fine locally!

Thanks.

10 |1200

Kelly Bennett avatar image
Kelly Bennett answered

@brendan
I'm curious about the answer to the original question. Is there a way to see logs for what's happening as a build deploys?

1 comment
10 |1200

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

You can connect to the server directly via the Game Manager, so you can debug anything directly. Is there a specific scenario you're trying to support?

0 Likes 0 ·
Johan Kraif avatar image
Johan Kraif answered

Same problem. Since yesterday every build, on US or European server is stuck initialized...

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.