question

Matt avatar image
Matt asked

How to start AND end an in-game marathon event with a scheduled task?

Hey folks,

So I'm looking to start an in-game event that runs for, say 5 days. When the event ends, players are rewarded with a gift based on their performance. I can schedule a task to run every 2 weeks that will make a cloudscript call to start the event (that will update my title data).

What I'm looking to do is

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Matt avatar image Matt commented ·

alrighty...that was for suspense I guess. Anyway, I'm looking to automate the ending of the event, making a cloudscript call on each player to calculate their reward based on the criteria of the event.

Would the typical way to do this be to schedule another task that runs in tandem with the event starting task? That seems very unwieldy to me. For instance, if I wanted to have different length events that wouldn't really work.

I haven't used any of these live features yet, so I'm thinking (because this seems pretty standard) there's a process that I just haven't found yet.

Thanks for the help!

-Matt

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
Matt avatar image
Matt answered

As an alternative, players could evaluate their results when they log in on the client side and that'd simplify the whole thing. Perhaps I can save the timestamp and duration with the event and then I can simply ignore the need to 'end' the event manually. Ok just delete this question! :P

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Yes, that'd be a way to handle this for now. In an upcoming sprint (we'll be posting a roadmap soon), we'll be providing a built-in event management system that'll help with this.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.