question

erik-wagner avatar image
erik-wagner asked

How to check for existing user after frictionless login

Hi,

I'm very new to all this so I'm sure there's a simple solution but I cannot seem to wrap my head around it. On an initial install, the best practice is to do a 'frictionless' login by using the LoginWithCustomId (as I understand it). That makes sense.

My question though is, once a person starts the app for the second time how do you know that you don't need to go through that step again? Is this information held in a Playfab settings/Title data somewhere that I can hook into on startup for the game? Sorry for the 'rookie' nature of the question, I know it is extremely basic

Thanks in advance

Title Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Actually, no, we would recommend using the appropriate ID for the platform you're on, if there is one. So, use the Android ID login, the iOS ID login, etc. If you use Custom ID login, you're sacrificing the detail of what the platform is of the user in many cases - and that's data that will be useful for your analytics.

And that's also the answer to your question - if you're getting the ID from the device in a way that provides a consistent ID, you're golden. Android devices return the same ID until a factory reset. iOS devices return the same ID until your games are removed from the device and re-installed, so it's a good idea to use the iTunes keychain to store the ID the first time they play. If you must use a custom ID, then yes, you'll want to store it in local device storage somewhere, to re-use the next time the player starts the game.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.