question

Joe Hopkins avatar image
Joe Hopkins asked

​GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer returns different Position than GetLeaderboard

When calling PlayFabClientAPI.GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer() we get a PlayerLeaderboardEntry with a different Position versus calling calling PlayFabClientAPI.GetLeaderboard() when the user is tied with others users.

This is a problem because it creates an inconsistent UI experience for the user. In the below screenshot SHOOTERZ is the current logged in user. They ranked 32 globally, but when we call to get their position it returns 16.

Is there a setting that we need to change or a way to work around this?

Thanks!

Leaderboards and Statistics
image-1-1.jpg (305.4 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

This behavior is not an issue of rank estimation but is because the player is tied with other players. In the case of a tie, it is possible that the two APIs will return a different rank for the same player. This is a known issue at the moment and we have filed a bug to fix the issue.

10 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cqatproject avatar image cqatproject commented ·

We also have this feature for our app. I hope they will put another parameter if with global players or the normal result for GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer call.

1 Like 1 ·
Joe Hopkins avatar image Joe Hopkins commented ·

Thanks for the response! Yes I had noted that it is only in the case of a tie. I think as a work around we will check if the playfab ID is in the GetLeaderboard() results and use that number instead.

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ Joe Hopkins commented ·

Please note that; GetFriendLeaderboardAroundUser calculates rank as if the player was top-ranked in the group of tied players, whereas GetLeaderboard does not. This behavior hasn't changed for quite some time but will re-evaluate if this causes significant issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
dryginstudios avatar image dryginstudios commented ·

Any feedback on this issue? This is major issue for us right now, our leaderboard are "ranked" based and we need to garantee rank uniqueness.

0 Likes 0 ·
Andy avatar image Andy ♦♦ dryginstudios commented ·

We haven't released any feature updates that make the scenario of tied players easier to work with. We're expecting that to come as part of our update to leaderboards later this quarter.

0 Likes 0 ·
Giovanni Frigo avatar image Giovanni Frigo Andy ♦♦ commented ·

> We're expecting that to come as part of our update to leaderboards later this quarter.

Well apparently nothing changed since this last update. The problem is still there, so I guess we'll have to deal with the fact that people may see different positioning in the leaderboard?

That would be easier to workaround if there was a method to get a player's position in the leaderboard (not using the glitched GetLeaderboardAroundPlayer, but the results from GetLeaderboard) and then manually asking for results in that neighbourhood, but I don't see any..

0 Likes 0 ·
VU VIET DUNG avatar image VU VIET DUNG commented ·

any update ?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Since there was another thread posted on this, I just wanted to provide this update: the team is working on making the newer statistics service available to all user as soon as they can. As soon as it is available, we will be posting to the blog (https://blog.playfab.com/blog) about it, updating the release notes (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/release-notes/), and updating the roadmap (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/roadmap/). I would recommend keeping an eye on those, so that you have all the latest info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.