question

bamboodude avatar image
bamboodude asked

How can I identify a user on WebGL via device?

I am trying to log in users silently when playing a WebGL game made with Unity, but I can't use

SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier , as it doesn't work for WebGL. I can't make a GUID and save it in player prefs either because not using player prefs was the reason I came to Playfab in the first place (player prefs are overwritten whenever a new version of the game is uploaded).

Is there any way to identify users anonymously?

Thanks!

unity3d
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

As for an anonymous on WebGL user, No, it's not possible.

A practical way would be, however, If you publish your title on Kongregate, you can use your login credentials for Kongregate. And since the user probably logged into Kongregate separately, then you have recoverable credentials to use, and it'll seem like a seamless login similar to anonymous login.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ commented ·

Additionally, You can write data locally either to file or cookie, which is technically possible but not reliable or permanent. Unless you can get a reliable ID from the local device, or use a reliable ID from another service, you cannot rely on that value to always be there.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.