question

cminch avatar image
cminch asked

Can't group/sum by custom fields in custom events

I am successfully tracking a custom event (session) with one custom field "Duration". I can correctly see the JSON for the event in the GameManager. However, when I try to query or segment based on this, I can successfully group/sum by any of the default fields but not the one custom field I added. Even with identical query syntax on the seemingly correct JSON it can't be accessed. I have seen community posts from 2016 and 2017 saying this feature is coming. Has this still not yet been implemented?

I am aware we can push out event to a 3rd party for doing analytics/visualization, but this seems to be preventing the ability to properly segment for live ops as well as analytics if it can't be queried. Is this the case?

Thanks, Carter

Raw JSON of the event with custom field (Duration):

Example of Sum by query on the custom event which returns nothing, while summing/grouping by eventData.timestamp correctly queries.

playfab1.png (14.5 KiB)
playfab3.png (5.4 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Time to implementation of a feature is unrelated to when it is requested. Our prioritization is based upon our own strategic business goals, plus the "weight" of a request from our community of developers. You can think of that "weight" as a function of the number of developers we've heard requests for the feature from (notably in our Feature Requests forum) with some added weight given to developers who consistently have high MAU titles. At the moment, Sum/Group on custom fields in custom events is behind a number of features that have been prioritized higher - likely as most developers do prefer to use tools like Snowflake for deep-dive analytics (in particular, because the Game Manager view is limited to the retention period of the title).

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cminch avatar image cminch commented ·

Thanks, for the reply Brendan, that's fine if it isn't implemented yet. I just wanted to confirm I wasn't making a mistake in the way I was making the query. Is there somewhere we can see the roadmap of upcoming features as a developer using playfab?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan cminch commented ·

We're in the process of putting together a roadmap that we'll be sharing publicly on the site. We wanted to have it last week, but the delay is actually good news - we got some additional resources, and so will be pulling in a few dates.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.