question

garrygaber avatar image
garrygaber asked

One Apple Device - two Playfab IDs

A strange problem showed up related to one Apple Device which seems to be registered with two independent Playfab IDs. Both are live, and I can push notify both of them and they both show up on the same device. All of the identifying numbers are different even though this is the same device, and same user. How would this have happened? What is the remedy?

Note: I have sent a couple screenshots illustrating this situation over email to Playfab.

Kindest Regards,
Garry

Player Data
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I responded in email, but I'll post here, as well. I don't follow. The same device would show up as different Push IDs, since that ID is for the registration, not the device - so they'll always be different. As to the ID of the device itself, iOS devices generate a random ID for your apps the first time one is installed. So if you uninstall your app and re-install it (and you didn't have any other apps on the device), you'll get a new ID. I've heard many reports of that happening to folks using TestFlight - in updating the title, it uninstalls first, then installs. Meaning you now have a new Device ID.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

garrygaber avatar image garrygaber commented ·

This app is definitely on TestFlight, so that makes perfect sense.

Thank you!

g

0 Likes 0 ·
ravio avatar image
ravio answered

@brendan So, this issue occurs only while using Testflight, or will it create a new ID everytime a user uninstalls the game? If so, how can I identify if the device has been used before or not.

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.