question

charlie avatar image
charlie asked

Partially converting game to a catalog model

I have a few questions about moving our beta game to a PlayFab backend. We are currently in beta on Google Play and serverless but we always planned to move to on-line persistence as we learn.

We want to update inventory/purchases in stages, but the issue I'm feeling is that I'll need to do an end-to-end conversion of inventory to get benefits, such as a great Game Manager experience. (granting items, etc)

For instance, for now I would do IAP elsewhere then AddVirtualCurrency from the client. (This interface can be set to work for the client.) However, if you bought a bundle, again I'd like to grant the items in the bundle from the client but I can't call GrantItemsToUser for the client, can I?

Another case is that we have tutorials which grant a few items. How would I do that from the client?

One more is that we'd like to grant lives on a timed basis until they reach a limit, but probably not try to integrate this with PlayFab consumption (which we may not be able to really do anyway). So I'd need to modify/grant these over time.

I have good experience with the importance of authoritative servers, and I understand I am leaving gaps that could be exploited, but that is not our interest right now. We also don't want to write custom server code for now.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

I don't quite follow what your goal is. If you're going to use our economy system and have items defined in your catalog, why don't you want to just do this the easy way and use our receipt validation system or other real-money purchase system? None of this requires any custom code on the server-side, as we already have systems designed expressly for this purpose.

https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials#landing-commerce

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

charlie avatar image charlie commented ·

Thanks Brendan. For example, at the beginning of a level, I want to grant four free boosters. How would I go about that in any case?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan charlie commented ·

Ah, okay - for items you want to give to players for free, that's different. In that case, yes, you would use Cloud Script or a custom game server.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.