question

Ion avatar image
Ion asked

Level score sharing with friends - Best practices for saving levels data

Hello!

I need to save the score and the stars for each level of my game (the level amount is going to be high, like a match-3 games). Since objects are not big enough for saving this data, and files are slow and other players have to access to the files, i think isn't a good approach.

The important thing here is that if the player is connected to Facebook, for example, you can see the score of your friends somewhere.

Then, which is the best practice to save the levels data for "sharing" with other players?

I think the best should be leaderboards, by statistics, i know the free tier limit (15 statistic names), but forgetting the free tier limits, would be the statistics the best approach for this? Saving a new statistic name for each level.

Thanks in advance!

Leaderboards and Statisticslimits
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, statistics would be the correct way to implement this. And statistics are part of the player profile, and so can be returned on calls to get the player's friends list, as well as on leaderboard calls. That's specifically so that you can create rich views of the player's info.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ion avatar image Ion commented ·

Thanks Brendan,

Do you mean having a statistic name per level?

This could result on 1000 entries in the future. Is correct?

Then, in other tier is not a limit for statistic amount?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Ion commented ·

What I mean is that a purely numeric value, that you want to have as part of the player profile so that it can be returned with the leaderboard or queried in friends lists, would ideally be a statistic.

Right now, the limit on statistics for a game is fairly small in our free tier, and in our Indie/Professional tier, it's 300. We can have higher numbers of statistics in Enterprise tier contracts, where the customer has a private vertical.

Another option would be to use Redis to store int values for these stats.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ion avatar image Ion commented ·

I understand.

Maybe we could talk about an enterprise tier. I read about it, but then, do i have to pay 300$/month once the game is launched, even if it has not reached 1,000 players?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Ion commented ·

The $299 monthly minimum is for the Professional tier, not Enterprise. Enterprise contracts are for large developers/publishers who want to have a much closer relationship with PlayFab. The basic Enterprise agreement requires dedicated, ongoing time from our team, so it's notably higher in cost, and since that resource time is from day one of the contract, the costs are from when the contract is signed. If that's what you'd like to discuss, feel free to drop us a mail at devrel@playfab.com, and we can talk through it there.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.