question

stansison avatar image
stansison asked

Can PlayFab be use to create player economy

We’re looking if we can use PlayFab for our unity game. I know there are ways to handle player inventory and purchases, is there support for players to create and sell “items” to other players?

Also is it possible to search for player “items” or “listings” with some sort of tagging system?

Player DataIn-Game EconomyPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

We currently have secure item trading system, but our trading system does not support Virtual Currency, so the answer is no, you cannot create an economic system to sell items to other players.

You can tag items in GameManager / Economy/ Catalog, but it's not searchable via a tag.

Item's Custom Data can be used for searching items ... here is the discussion reference on the forum and Doc.

https://api.playfab.com/documentation/Server/method/UpdateUserInventoryItemCustomData

https://community.playfab.com/questions/3752/read-custom-data-from-iteminstance.html

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Shaaheen Andrew Karabi avatar image Shaaheen Andrew Karabi commented ·

Hi pfnathan, I am not sure if necroing a post/comment is allowed or if I should make an entirely new post but I wanted to ask if this is possible now as it's been a couple of years since the original posting.

1 Like 1 ·
Seth Du avatar image Seth Du ♦ Shaaheen Andrew Karabi commented ·

For now, all items should be predefined in Catalog, and UGC is not supported. Please keep track of economy updates in PlayFab Roadmap - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

1 Like 1 ·
Shaaheen Andrew Karabi avatar image Shaaheen Andrew Karabi Seth Du ♦ commented ·

thank you for the information

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ commented ·

Only possible way It could be done is using the Server API, however,” it wouldn't have the same security as our economy system does which is the most crucial point in economy system

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.