question

drallcom3 avatar image
drallcom3 asked

What with this matchmaker error response? (No free slot on external server)

I'm using the matchmaker with external servers. Overall it works surprisingly well.

Now I have this small issue/question:

Whenever there are no instances with a free slot, I get the error response "Cannot launch game server instance because title configured to use external game server provider".

Shouldn't it be "Can't find free slot"? I get that for Playfab hosted servers it would now create a new instance, but for external servers it sounds overdramatic since there are servers and they can be found. They're just full.

Do I have to implement another handler? Can I just ignore that error? For now I'm ignoring it.

Matchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The way matchmaking works in PlayFab, with our game server hosting, is that we use the matchmaking call as part of the process to scale up the number of server instances running for the game. Since we have no control over your server spin up/down when you're hosting externally, we return that error, as it is specific to the reason we can't return a slot. But that's just an error message - you can use it any way you like, in terms of the player experience.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

drallcom3 avatar image drallcom3 commented ·

Good enough as an answer. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.