question

gamingbigfoot avatar image
gamingbigfoot asked

Groups limits, concurrency, etc

I have a few questions regarding groups, since I can't find answers anywhere....

1. Whats the limit for the groups? Can I potentially have a group, with auto join (already have it, via cloudscript), with almost all players? (for example, to make a global chat)
  2. You mention you can use this for chats... where would you store the data? Objects seem too small, so I'm guessing files??
  3. How is concurrency handled for both objets and files, if there are a ton of people trying to update at the same time? (same example, with chat)
  4. To update my "chat", I would have to poll, parse, & see if there are differences to what I have locally, since I still ahve no way to comunicate from the server, to the client, right?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

1) For limits for the Group, There’s a max of a thousand members per group.

2) Thanks for point out that portion it was incorrectly included in the doc, Groups don’t support chat, the way of chat support is that you can use Photon Chat - You can create a Chat room then shared that info via Entity data on the Group which then your members can all get in a room together. We will post an update to the document.

3) The concurrency is handled via the set object and file APIs, when you use the profile version, of the version doesn’t match we will ignore the operation being requested

4) As mentioned in #2, Groups don’t have a chat but you can use Photon Chat where you can create a Chat room then shared that info via Entity data on the group which then your members can all get in a room together for a chat.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

gamingbigfoot avatar image gamingbigfoot commented ·

Regarding #3, I still dont understand how it's handled. Lets say we have an object in the entity, and it has a lot of updates on it. Is it handled in first come first serve, and can we suppose they will all get through without any conflict?

For example, I want a cloudscript to add 10 to a value in the Object for the guild entity.... I make 5 simultaneous calls, from 5 different users... Can I be sure, that no concurrency issues will arise, and the variable will end up with a value of 50?

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ gamingbigfoot commented ·

For #3, Sending a profileversion property will cause the operation to fail if the stored version does not match the sent version

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.