question

dgupta avatar image
dgupta asked

Entity Data VS Legacy Data

Hello, I have some questions about the new Entity Data. I generally understand the concept, but I don't understand the limits attached to the entity data. It seems like I can only have up to 3 objects per entity per player. And, each of those objects can only have 500 bytes of data (for the free tier).

That seems to be very little especially compared to the legacy data, which can have (as far as I can tell from the limits section) 10 key/value pairs with each value being 10,000 bytes. This seems like a significant downgrade in terms of basic data storage for key/value pairs. I was just wondering why the new data storage method has such a strict limit vs the old one.

Thanks a lot,

Dhruv

Player Datadata
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

So, the problem is in trying to do an apples-to-apples comparison, when the two systems are utterly different from one another. In the old model, there was exactly one type of data, and it was simply string/string key value pairs, with a max size.

The new model is far more efficient, and provides for more options. The small data packets you can upload as JSON are part of the player profile, and so we'll be providing options for using it as part of the profile going forward. The new file data type is for larger data, and can be in any format, including binary.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dgupta avatar image dgupta commented ·

Oh, I see. So, are you saying the objects can be treated as custom variables for each player rather than a whole chunk of data for the player?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan dgupta commented ·

Effectively, yes. The reason the objects are small is specifically so that they can be more flexibly used in this manner. We'll be providing more capabilities around this in upcoming sprints.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.