question

Dale Strickler avatar image
Dale Strickler asked

Player count shown on dashboard mystery

Yesterday the player count at the top of the Players page of the dashboard showed 2.2K players. As we get closer to release I wanted to delete test players (well any that have not logged in more than 30 days ago.) I did that and deleted a lot of users via Admin API calls. It seemed to work. Randomly sampling some of the PlayFab IDs I delete they are reported as "No players found." All is well.

However the player count at the top of the Players page of the dashboard now shows 2.3K players. Why? We did not add 100 players since yesterday. And I delete a lot of players. I expected it to go down. What am I missing?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The player accounts have their title-specific data deleted, but the events for the player remain (that way, you can remove players who want their accounts deleted, while keeping anonymized gameplay info you can use for analytics). So deletion of player accounts does not result in lowering the count of player accounts that have ever been created/logged into the title.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler commented ·

This leads to other questions:

- When a players is deleted can their user name be used by a new player?

- Are there any number-of-user limits that will be cross because of deleted users?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Dale Strickler commented ·

The Username is part of the core of the player account, which lives at the Publisher ID level. It is not removed when you delete a player from a title. The next time the player signs into any title that has the same Publisher ID, using any credentials associated with the account, they will be signed into the same PlayFab ID, which will still have the Username.

There are no number-of-user limits in PlayFab. For Indie and Pro tier customers, the player counter is an easy way to track on how close they're getting to having created 1,000 player accounts (the point we consider the title "live").

0 Likes 0 ·
Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler brendan commented ·

Ok, something new about the player count, yesterday we were seeing 2.2K on the main Player tab. To our knowledge, no one deleted any players. Today it is showing 1.9k.

Without deleting accounts why would this number drop?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.