question

Michael Lefebvre avatar image
Michael Lefebvre asked

Paypal Item Description

Is there a way to define what the transaction description looks like in the paypal receipt? For us it only shows "Game Name" Virtual Goods.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The OrderDescription for a PayPal purchase will always be the name of your game, as shown in the Game Manager, followed by "Virtual Goods".

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

info-2 avatar image info-2 commented ·

I am selling physical goods, so in PayPal I need to know what was sold. Is there no way to change the description or note?

I am not able to do a comparison with the player's purchase on PlayFab & PayPal either, since the orderId and transactionId do not match on both backends.

Edit: also, is there a way to make the shipping address visible? (should I open a new thread for this?)

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan info-2 commented ·

Unfortunately, the OrderDescription in the PayPal call only allows us to send 127 characters in total. There is a "Note" parameter in the call we're not using, but it only allows for 255 characters. Given that you can have multiple items in a purchase, there's no way we can guarantee being able to have all the information about all the items and their counts in that limited space. Your best bet would be to use our events to track on the details. The player_realmoney_purchase should have all the information you need for this. The Invoice ID in the PayPal record is the Order ID in PlayFab, which would allow you to correlate them.

But shipping address isn't something that would be stored in PlayFab at all. That's not data we store in any player account, so you'd need to get that directly from PayPal.

0 Likes 0 ·
info-2 avatar image info-2 brendan commented ·

Thanks Brendan, correlating both transactions would be totally fine. Is the Order ID in PlayFab encoded in some way though? In my test case, the order IDs are (with the last few characters removed due to sensible information):

Order ID in PlayFab: 149CDEBF02Fxxxxx
Invoice ID in PayPal: 14853068890955xxxxx

Sorry, I wasn't clear in regards to the shipping address. I didn't expect it to be stored in PlayFab. The issue is that when the browser opens the PlayFab initiated PayPal cart url (using PayForPurchase), there is no selection for the shipping address at all. I guess this is also why when the order is completed, no shipping address is displayed in the transaction. I am assuming that in your SetExpressCheckout call, which is done by PlayFab, you disabled the shipping address selection.

Could you please double check if this is the case, and if there's any chance to make it required instead (e.g. a checkbox in PlayFab's PayPal Add-On section)? The best case would be to simply use the user's address on file with PayPal. Doc references:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/express-checkout/digital-goods/ExpressCheckoutAPIFields/?mark=noshipping#nvp-api-fields-supported-by-digital-goods

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.