question

mykhayloberezyuk avatar image
mykhayloberezyuk asked

Server Side Virtual Currency (To avoid currency hackers)

I am very noobish when it comes to PlayFab and game development, so I apologize if I'm asking too much at this point.

I'm currently just making references so whenever I have time to work on project I can refer back and see what to do next. However there was always one thing that bothered me, and this is currency hacking/cheating. I know in some games I play, such as OverWatch and EA games, their virtual currency system is only server-sided, thus you cannot change currency other than buying and earning. It was essentially, well... immutable to such hacks available, unless a player could get into their servers of course.

Where and how can I set this up? Mostly as a reference tool later on. I know PlayFab have the whole economy system, but isn't based on player file or something? Meaning if a player file gets changed, the data will be uploaded to PlayFab economy database. But I want to prevent any users from changing any currency value in files, only the servers can do it. Also doing it to any inventory items would be nice as well, want the game to be as legitimate as possible.

Thus, players must win matches, do challenges, to win such items. no other way, not even CheatEngine or any other hacking can do it, except directly attacking the server of course.

I hope my typing is not too confusing.

Thanks =)

Player DataIn-Game EconomyPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

There's the forum discussion about Anti-Cheat and security which is a good reference point for you to plan for security concern.

https://community.playfab.com/questions/144/205470038-Keeping-games-secure.html

Also about Anti Cheat.

https://community.playfab.com/questions/16787/anti-cheat-implementation.html

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.