question

stefanopezzoli82 avatar image
stefanopezzoli82 asked

Push notification to segment doesn't show on android while to single player works correclty

HI all,

I have an issue with the push notification to a segment of players, in fact no push is received on android when on ios it appear correctly.

If I try to send a push message to a single player form the player profile web page instead the notification works as espected.

Any suggestions please?

thanks

Push Notificationsandroid
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

I would like some additional information, and I'll give you some general answers while I await confirmation.

• Which PlayFab SDK are you using? I assume based on Android device, that it is Unity, or Android Studio
  • Which Push Plugin are you using? Our guides suggest that you use the device native FCM plugin, but I am aware that there are multiple 3rd party push plugins that will work as well.
  • Please indicate any other plugins or 3rd party software added to your project, and the version numbers for all relevant engine versions, PlayFab plugins, push plugin, etc.

The rest of this answer assumes that you're using a recent PlayFab SDK, a recent version of Unity or Android Studio, and the FCM plugin which is the device native plugin.

For Android, the client side plugin we suggest for our customers is the Firebase Cloud Messaging plugin, which is a 3rd party plugin, but the one recommended by the makers of the Android device. You may use any other plugin you wish, with the assumption that we are sending messages that follow the FCM messaging format. We don't support issues with the plugin itself, as we are not the providers of any push plugin.

You have indicated that the push notification displays when the app is running, but doesn't display when the app is closed. This tells me that the push notification is being delivered correctly to the device and your chosen plugin, and any issue with the message not displaying is a client-plugin problem. If there were an issue with PlayFab, the message would not display at all.

If you are writing your own plugin, receiving offline messages is done via an entirely separate mechanism than when the app is running. The mechanism for this has changed several times in the last year, and it's very hard to keep working with changing versions of the Android device OS. The only real plugin that does this properly across multiple device versions is the device native FCM plugin, which is why we recommend it.

In our guide, we suggest testing with messages sent directly from the Firebase Console. If you can correctly receive a message from the Firebase Console, but NOT from PlayFab under the same conditions, then post those conditions here for us to review, and we'll address the problem.

Thanks!

10 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

stefanopezzoli82 avatar image stefanopezzoli82 commented ·

Hi Paul,

thank you for your assistance

I'm using unity with FCM plugin as you suggest, we use different plugins in the project now I will list all with version:

Unity 2013.3.0f3

Playfab sdk 2.32.171106

Firebase 4.4.2

Facebook sdk (android) 4.23.0

GameAnalytics sdk 3.10.4

GooglePlayGames 0.9.50

unity iap 1.16.0

I can understand your doubts about the client implementation side, but as previously mentioned, if I send a message directly to a single player, using the send push message panel in the player page from the playfab project admin page, the message is received both in game and outside game. The missing message happens only when I send a message to a players segments and the single player is outside of the game, if inside the message is received also in this case.

Also push msg from firebase is working but I assume that if it works from single player push message than that route is correctly binded.

There're implementation differences from direct player push send and segment push send or the segment send simply iterate through al the players in the segment calling the same single player push message that I call in the player page?

There's something else I can check?

0 Likes 0 ·
1807605288 avatar image 1807605288 ♦ stefanopezzoli82 commented ·

Got it. The difference between normal push and segment push is something I can check.

I will investigate within the next couple days.

Thanks for the clarifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
stefanopezzoli82 avatar image stefanopezzoli82 1807605288 ♦ commented ·

Hello,

any news about this issue? I have done some tests this morning and the issue seems the same. I have also tried another device with a new profile ( google and playfabs ) to see if was a profile related issue but the behaviour is exactly the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Unity 2017.3.0f3 sorry I wrote wrong

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello,

I still have this issue, any news about that? Any suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan stefanopezzoli82 commented ·

Sorry for the silence - there is a bug open on this, and the team is looking into a potential fix. We'll update here as we have more info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Weyrdworks avatar image Weyrdworks brendan commented ·

Still doesn't work from scheduled tasks or from segments. I'm assuming it won't work from Prize Tables as well. As OP mentioned, single player push works on both iOS and Android. Any updates?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan commented ·

Apologies for the silence on this. The engineering team confirmed that this has been fixed in the service layer.

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

Can you send us your TitleID which is having an issue please?

4 comments
10 |1200

Sure, the titleID is F26D

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ stefanopezzoli82 commented ·

On your log, are you seeing "PlayFab GCM error"?

0 Likes 0 ·
stefanopezzoli82 avatar image stefanopezzoli82 pfnathan ♦ commented ·

No PlayFab Error.

What I can say is that the bug happens only if the push message is sent when the app is not executing. If the app is active the message is correctly received in both cases, but if not, only a direct push message appear in the notification area.

I'have done different tests and no relevant logs are reported.

one time I have found

/GCM: Register request missing messenger

but it was reported also on one successful received message so I don't think is related

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

@stefanopezzoli82

Hope Paul's guide gave you an insight.

10 |1200

Weyrdworks avatar image
Weyrdworks answered

June 13 2018. Still doesn't work from scheduled tasks or from segments. I'm assuming it won't work from Prize Tables as well. As OP mentioned, single player push works on both iOS and Android. Any updates?

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.