In our game, we are planning to host simple global live competition events like the following:
At 8PM, competition opens, players get notified and can opt in. Competition starts and say last for one minute. All players submit their scores at the end and top performances will be announced shortly. This event applies to all players and we do not divide players into groups.
Here's our plan to achieve this solely with Playfab without having our own authoritative server:
1. a CloudScript would run and create a competition token when about to host a competition.
2. Init or reset our competition leaderboard.
3. Playfab sends Notifications/Messages to our players with competition token.
4. Players can choose too join the competition will be in waiting screen.
5. Playfab sends Notifications/Messages to all participating players to start the game.
6. After player finished the game session, player will call a cloudscript with the competition token to report their score.
7. After certain cutoff time, a cloudscript runs and generates the winners and Notify/message all players.
There are few things we are not sure of.
- How to send Notifications/Messages to players, who are currently in the game (app is running). what feature of playfab can we use to achieve this given that we also have desktop users? so I guess the push notification feature won't work.
- Is sending a large number of notification/messages (e.g. > 10,000) at the short burst be a problem, does it exceed the limit of cloudscript running time?
Thanks for ideas and feedbacks!