question

rob avatar image
rob asked

Why does it take so long for old games to be removed from matchmaking?

If I quit a game it gets shut down reasonably quickly but it seems to linger in calls to GetCurrentGames for a long time after.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of old games faster? It's annoying that games will still show up in my list several minutes after shutting down. If I refresh (so keep calling GetCurrentGames) sometimes the game shows up, sometimes it doesn't. Even when you think it's finally gone for good it can still show up again after a few refreshes!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

Are you using External Server or PlayFab server?

If you are using an external server, you can explicitly call for "DeregisterGame" API.

https://api.playfab.com/documentation/Server/method/DeregisterGame, where your game can deregister from the server immediately after exits.

also, on GameManager/settings/External Server, you can assign "Game server heartbeat expiration timeout" as well.

As for Playfab, the timeout should be immediate.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rob avatar image rob commented ·

I'm hosting my server on PlayFab so presumably that's not an external server?

It definitely doesn't remove the game from GetCurrentGames results immediately. Are those results being cached or something?

If I call DeregisterGame will that have any effect on a PlayFab server?

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ commented ·

In most cases, it will take about 5 to 10 second to get complete disconnection. Can you let us know your TitleID and Instance Id please, also let us know how you launch the game and remove the game?

and "DeregisterGame" API call is for when using External Server only.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.