question

Patches avatar image
Patches asked

Playfab Microsoft announcement questions

Hi there, I saw the big announcement from the PlayFab email and this Blog post from Microsoft.

I figured it would be good to put up a thread for developers like us to ask our questions about how this will impact us.

I have a few questions:

1. Will this have any impact on PlayFab's support for PlayStation 4 developers? In the past, Microsoft has sometimes required exclusivity deals, but it seems like the current Microsoft is not going to do that. Can we still expect to have support from PlayFab for our multi-platform titles that are both Xbox One and PS4 moving forward?
  2. Does this mean that PlayFab is going to be using Azure for their cloud deployment and CDN? Has PlayFab already been using Azure this whole time or will there be a big migration in the next year we should brace for?
  3. Will we be required to create Azure accounts to take advantage of PlayFab binary storage or other tools?

I'm interested to learn more about how this will shake out. Thanks again to the folks at PlayFab for this service. I'm genuinely curious to learn more about what we should expect for launching and live ops in the next year.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Thanks! We're quite excited to be joining the Microsoft team. At the moment, there are no changes - we're focused on our feature backlog and the service health overall, and we're actively working with the Sony team, so there shouldn't be any changes there, either. We'll certainly be looking into how this enables us to provide even more functionality to developers, but we'll also be making sure to minimize any impact - we're still fully committed to our policy of no breaking changes.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Kain avatar image Kain commented ·

I'm really happy for everyone at PlayFab who is benefiting from this. Y'all certainly deserve to reap the rewards of your labors over the years! Congratulations to you and your team, Brendan!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.