question

admin-12 avatar image
admin-12 asked

Where can I store inventory item data?,My game has a large selection of items, how can I store configuration data about those items on PlayFab?

The game that I'm making has a large array of items that a player can use. I have the different items hardcoded in the game, but I'd like to have the stats for each item remotely placed onto PlayFab. That way I can make balancing changes on the fly without needing to update the game.

I have looked through the PlayFab dashboard quite a bit and haven't found something that matches what I'm going for. The closest possibility would be to upload a json file to file storage, but that's less than ideal since it takes a long time for updates to propagate(24 hours). Is there somewhere else where I could manage json or an inventory of items and change different attributes on them? For example: have an item called pistol that has an id of 1 and change its damage from 10-12 and its reload time from 1.2 to 1.5 etc. I would need to have the ability to create any number of fields for each item so that it can match up with gameplay.

Any help would be great appreciated! Thank you.

Player DataPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

Using Custom Data in GameManager/Economy/Catalog/Items/ CustomData should resolve your need.

For more info;

https://api.playfab.com/documentation/Admin/datatype/PlayFab.Admin.Models/PlayFab.Admin.Models.CatalogItem

Also, note that: When something is in someone's inventory there is also `CustomData`, this is specific to the item in the inventory for that player though, so it is not the same thing. https://api.playfab.com/documentation/admin/datatype/playfab.admin.models/PlayFab.Admin.Models.GrantedItemInstance

customdata.jpg (89.1 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.