question

JULIEN MAIRAT avatar image
JULIEN MAIRAT asked

What is the best way to create a static device ID for iOS?

Hello,
We are looking for a solution to create a consistent Apple device ID.
The current ID gets changed once the player deletes and re-downloads our game (we saw this in your documentation).
My question is, besides using the keychain (which seems unreliable because there is no guarantee a player will have that enabled) , what is the best way to generate a static device Id for ios users? We have read about the device check api on os11. Is that a viable option for us, or can we use custom IDs to achieve a similar effect?

Thanks for your help!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

As explanined in our “Best Practice” page on keeping the iOS device ID with iTunes KeyChain, after the user deletes all your titles and reinstalls one to the same device, Apple generates a fresh ID. This is due to how Apple manages privacy. Apple does not provide any other way to keep the ID across installs.

iosdevice.jpg (76.1 KiB)
2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Dale Strickler avatar image Dale Strickler commented ·

Note I have been trying this but something is going wrong. I have the old device ID coming from the keychain. I have it correctly in the LoginWithIOSDeviceID API request but when the device connects PlayFab creates an account with the current device ID, it does not log in to the one I stored in the KeyChain and passed in with the request. Is the one in the request being ignored under some set of circumstances? I am using the Unity SDK.

0 Likes 0 ·
pfnathan avatar image pfnathan ♦ Dale Strickler commented ·

Is ID matches with including case , if it does, it should fine..

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.