question

Christopher Clogg avatar image
Christopher Clogg asked

Custom Game Server Tutorial Documentation

Hey I am not sure if this is the right place to give feedback, but after finally getting my C# server working, there were a few things that would have made the process easier:

1. When you upload a build with multiple files (even in one zip'd root folder), you need to set the exe name to be your zip folder + slash + name.exe, for example if I uploaded a zip file named "MyGame.zip" with MyGame.exe directly in that folder, in the Playfab dashboard the build's exe field would be: MyGame/MyGame.exe

2. In the Custom Game Server tutorial page, it doesn't mention anything about title_id. But when I copied the command line args code from the Unity server example, it had title_id as one of the parsed arguments... so I figured it was auto-added in the build dashboard... but after some confusion I realized it wasn't.

3. Not a huge deal, but the PlayFabGameServer code is using the non-async style of methods, but in the current CSharpSDK it is using async, so it took a bit of time to make those work properly ("PlayFabApiTest.cs" did have examples though which helped).

Thanks. Overall it was very helpful to have the example projects

P.S. I should also mention that for my C# socket server, I had to bind it to "IPAddress.Any", which I guess is different than the unity networking manager.

Hey I am not sure if this is the right place to give feedback, but after finally getting my C# server working, there were a few things that would have made the process easier:

1. When you upload a build with multiple files (even in one zip'd root folder), you need to set the exe name to be your zip folder + slash + name.exe, for example if I uploaded a zip file named "MyGame.zip" with MyGame.exe directly in that folder, in the Playfab dashboard the build's exe field would be: MyGame/MyGame.exe

2. In the Custom Game Server tutorial page, it doesn't mention anything about title_id. But when I copied the command line args code from the Unity server example, it had title_id as one of the parsed arguments... so I figured it was auto-added in the build dashboard... but after some confusion I realized it wasn't.

3. Not a huge deal but the PlayFabGameServer code is using the non-async style of methods, but in the current CSharpSDK it is using async, so it took a bit of time to make those work properly (kudos to the "PlayFabApiTest.cs" for having good examples).

Thanks. Overall it was very helpful to have the example projects.

Custom Game Serversdocumentation
1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Christopher Clogg avatar image Christopher Clogg commented ·

Ah I can't seem to edit it but it seems to have double copies.

0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

·
pfnathan avatar image
pfnathan answered

Thank you for the feedback. We will take note and apply to our documention to support better.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.