question

mandy avatar image
mandy asked

iOS Advance Push notifications

I'm trying to set up push notifications on iOS for a future date when a timed loot crate opens. Is this feature available for iOS yet? The last update was over a year ago here . If not, are there other options for setting a timed APN?

Thanks!

Push Notifications
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Delayed Push messages are actually locally defined on the client device based upon the data sent in the advance push notification package (check the CustomData in the Package). So, short version - yes, that's supported if you're providing your own client-side plugin to manage the scheduled Push messages locally.

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

mandy avatar image mandy commented ·

So then technically, no. Playfab (on its own) does not support this feature. Correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mandy commented ·

PlayFab supports Push Notifications to iOS, and we support messages sent with custom data that can be used for things like delayed notifications. We do not provide a client-side plugin for handling the custom data for the Push message.

0 Likes 0 ·
mandy avatar image mandy commented ·

Right, I have PNs for iOS integrated where the client sends a push executed thru the CloudScript. I read thru the docs for the CustomData. If I send a PN with a future time in the CustomData field on the Client side, send it to my CloudScript to parse and execute, I would assume the server would have the capabilities of handling that Custom Data somehow, right? I'm not very familiar with CloudScripts.

server.SendPushNotification({
                Recipient : targetId,
                Package : {
                    Title: "A Friend is Waiting",

}
            });
0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan mandy commented ·

No, Cloud Script is simply JavaScript running in our service. It runs the logic you specify, when you call it, and then exits. It is not related to Push Notifications in any way. To use Custom Data, you must have a plugin which is running on the client which interprets that data and uses it how you want to.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan brendan commented ·

Clarification: You can call Server API methods from Cloud Script, but there's no difference between calling them there and calling them in Postman or a custom game server.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.