question

starkgaminginc avatar image
starkgaminginc asked

UE4 Log Files "Can't Be Found"

The log files on my game are not showing up, I have entered the ABSLOG="" requirement for unreal in the build options.

Any thoughts?

capture43.png (13.2 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There are three possible reasons for a log not being available:

1. (most common) It was written to the wrong directory. If you've got the configuration set up to use log_file_path appropriately though, that shouldn't be the issue.

2. The file isn't done loading. If the server only just shut down, it's possible it's still being copied to S3.

3. The file was too large. We have noticed that files that are more than a couple hundred MB take long enough to copy to S3 that the server shutdown occurs before the copy is complete. How large are the log files?

22 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

starkgaminginc avatar image starkgaminginc commented ·

Sorry for the delayed response on this...

1 - As a UE4 user all I used to need to do is add the mentioned "-ABSLOG=<log_file_path>" in the custom game server documentation. This used to work no problem and my log files would be available after closing them down. Has anything potentially changed?

2 - Confirmed my log files are not available, after several days.

3 - Tested on very short sessions that would be under 1 MB in file size.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan starkgaminginc commented ·

No, nothing has changed in our implementation. In fact, the only way the ABSLOG usage would change is if it changed in the Unreal engine. We actually have nothing to do with how the command line parameters are interpreted by your custom game server code - we only pass along the parameters as specified in the build configuration.

The only way the log files would not be available is if it's not in the correct folder, or it's too large to be copied (though that would be extremely large - on the order of a GB or more). The last option here would be to coordinate with us on when you'll have a server spun up, so that we can log onto it directly, to have a look at the log folder to confirm.

0 Likes 0 ·
starkgaminginc avatar image starkgaminginc brendan commented ·

I have a server online right now - Title ID 68CD - feel free to check when convenient!

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Portiaeve Ent Inc avatar image
Portiaeve Ent Inc answered

How do I end it @cardib

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.