question

stephenjcasellaplayfab1 avatar image
stephenjcasellaplayfab1 asked

A few general pricing quesions

Hello. I'm researching using PlayFab for my next few games. I've gone through the pricing structure and have a few general questions.

1. Is there a point at which a free application is forced to move into a paid tier or does service just become unavailable for some requests once certain limits are reached?

2. If my application is using paid features that are based on the number of active users and it experiences an unexpected influx of active users, what happens if for some reason the money brought in by the app that month is not enough to pay for the unexpectedly higher costs?

Thanks a lot.

pricing
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Sure thing:

1. Short answer: no. Longer answer: If you have a successful title with many users, I can't imagine not moving to the pro tier. The free tier has no SLA, and no 1-on-1 support. Also, the limits in the free tier are quite low - especially for the live ops capabilities (which is why we don't list them as really being available in the free tier - realistically, you don't have enough of them to make them viable). Basically, the free tier is there to help indies and hobbyists get their ideas out there. If those ideas take off, you really want to have an assurance that you won't have issues. While we work hard to make sure the service is stable for all titles, we can't provide dedicated resources to free or indie tier titles. So if you have a bug in your game or a hacker decides to try to mess with you such that you have traffic that isn't sustainable, our only option in those tiers is to move your title to a "low vertical" - basically, a quarantine space with lower resource availability, so that your title can't impact any other title in the service. For pro (and enterprise) tier titles, we have more options, and can move titles having issues to dedicated full verticals.

2. We bill based upon usage. In general, our MAU-based pricing is low enough that we're a fairly small percentage of revenue even on average-ARPDAU titles. In the pro (and enterprise) tier, we work with developers to help with any questions they have on feature usage, but also on live operations planning. We sponsored a full day of talks on this at the last Casual Connect in Seattle, and we're doing that again for the upcoming Casual Connect in Anaheim. Basically, we want titles to be successful. If your monetization is especially poor, we would work with you to try to find ways to improve it. But realistically, if your title is performing poorly and you can't find any way to change that, you should really be sunsetting it so that you can put your efforts into projects that stand a better chance of success.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

stephenjcasellaplayfab1 avatar image stephenjcasellaplayfab1 commented ·

Thanks, Brendan. That's what I was looking for. This sounds great.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.