question

martinliu1993 avatar image
martinliu1993 asked

LoginWithOculus

I understand that PlayFab doesn't yet support logging in with Oculus like Steam and PSN. However, I am just wondering whether or not I can work around that.

I know that LoginWithSteam uses the SteamTicket generated as unique identifiers per Steam User. I was wondering if there are any unique identifiers associated with Oculus accounts that will be usable. If there are, maybe I can just call LoginWithCustomID with that unique identifier.

We sort of need LoginWithOculus because for our use case, we are trying to support true cross platform with Oculus being one of the platforms.

As an alternative, We can of course force Oculus players to create a PlayFab account instead of using Oculus ones, but that's not ideal.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

From looking at their docs, the ovr_User_GetOrgScopedID would be the ID they return which will be consistent for the player across multiple applications from your developer account. However, I have no way of knowing if they consider that ID to be private. If it is exposed in any way that would allow a hacker to find the IDs of others, using it as a Custom ID login would mean giving the hacker the ability to sign in as anyone they want to. If you can confirm with Oculus that the ovr_User_GetOrgScopedID will never be available to anyone but the individual user that ID refers to, that could be used as a near-term solution. Otherwise, we would have to recommend using one of our other login methods to achieve a secure solution (like Facebook or Twitch). You could also generate a GUID that you store locally and use it for a Custom ID login, but that would not transfer across devices, obviously.

Their User Access Token would be the best way to have a secure sign-in for their platform. That's specifically the backlog item we have for future implementation.

8 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

martinliu1993 avatar image martinliu1993 commented ·

Hey Brendan, can you go into a bit more detail about how to authenticate them when I have their Oculus AccessToken. I tried to use their Access Token as input to LoginWithCustomId, but that generates a new account everytime because it isn't the PlayFabId. How would I use the AccessToken as the unique identifier? I want to use the AccessToken as PlayFabId or something to uniquely identify the account

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan martinliu1993 commented ·

What I was saying above is that we do not have integration with their access token - that's the backlog item I have open. For sign-in, you could either use one of our existing secure sign-in integrations (Google, Twitch, etc.), a username/password or email/password, or you could use a unique-per-player ID that you either get from them or generate yourself and use that with LoginWithCustomID.

0 Likes 0 ·
martinliu1993 avatar image martinliu1993 brendan commented ·

I was trying to use the unique-per-player ID as the CustomId parameter I use with LoginWithCustomID. The problem though is that it creates a new account every time with the same unique-per-player ID used to login. What I want is to use the CustomID parameter passed in to be used as a unique identifier. It seems that LoginWithCustomID doesn't use the CustomID passed in as a unique identified, but generates a brand new PlayFabID instead

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.