question

madmojoman avatar image
madmojoman asked

Is there a simple way to look-up (Server/Cloud) a PlayFabId by player's DisplayName?

I've got a situation for a multiplayer game where sometimes other players will not be online, but will be represented by in-game objects that hold their DisplayNames (to avoid sending PlayFabIds to clients of other players, as I assume this shouldn't be needed) and I want to have the server look up the player's information from that DisplayName. Is there a way to look up the player's data server-side to send necessary data to the client without having the client aware of the other player's PlayFabId? Or do I have to send the PlayFabIds to all clients in order to be able to look up their information properly when the other player is offline?

Player DataCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Actually, I'd recommend sending around the PlayFab ID, instead. Bear in mind that the user's Title Display Name can be changed, so it may not be valid later on. And there's nothing secret about a player's PlayFab ID - in fact, it's returned in the leaderboard API calls.

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

madmojoman avatar image madmojoman commented ·

Ahh, gotcha. Oker dokie. Thanks! 8)

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.