question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Username unavailable for registration

Question from a developer:

I've run into an issue where I'm trying to manually register accounts for clients, and there's a username which is getting an error that it's not available for registration. But searching in the Players tab, no player exists with that username. Is this because there was a previous user account with that username which has since been deleted?

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

No, the issue is that Usernames (unlike Title Display Names) are global to your Publisher ID. All titles in your studio share the same Publisher ID, by default. That makes it so that when players sign into your games, they're always signing into the same "core" account (that is, they have the same PlayFab ID across titles). That allows you to have accurate reporting on the player across games, as well as share data between games for that player via player publisher data.

In your specific case, you have a player with that Username in Title ID B863.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

leongcy-wa13 avatar image leongcy-wa13 commented ·

Hi @Brendan, what do I have to do to reuse that username again? I have removed the title altogether (it is no longer in use anyway), which should delete all users under the title. However the username still did not become available for registration. Is there any further steps I have to take, or is the username gone forever? Thanks in advance.

Hi @Brendan, what do I have to do to reuse that username again? I have already removed the title (since it is no longer being used anyway), which should delete all users under that title. However the username is still unavailable to me. What further steps can I take, or is it gone forever?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan leongcy-wa13 commented ·

Usernames must be unique across all titles in a Publisher ID. Also, because they are core to the definition of the player account, they cannot be changed. So deleting a player - even deleting the title - does not remove the "core" player account, with the credentials and Username. If you want to start over with a completely blank slate, you can always create a new studio, so that you have a new Publisher ID to work with.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.