question

alexmerza avatar image
alexmerza asked

Photon UE4 and playfab

Got the PlayFab SDK up and running with UE4. Also got the Photon SDK working with UE4. Trying to integrate the two by going through PlayFab I'm not able to use the realtime api ID to make a connection to Photon.

If I use the Photon App ID, then there is no linking with playfab as they are both independent at that point. Any thoughts on getting this working through playfab?

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The Photon SDK isn't integrated into the PlayFab SDK directly, so you do have to use both. What we've integrated for you is:

1. Authentication, to simplify the process of getting the Photon connection, and

2. Webhooks, so that actions in the Photon Realtime Rooms can trigger server-side logic in Cloud Script.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

alexmerza avatar image alexmerza commented ·

Alright, maybe I'm a bit confused about how the authentication process works. Since the photon sdk isn't integrated, how does playfab authenticate? With photon, you make a connect request and pass it the photon app id, but that doesn't exist through the add-on.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan alexmerza commented ·

I understand the confusion - our Photon guide (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/photon-unity) really focuses on Unity developers, since they're the majority of the folks we support. However, it's actually quite simple - the integration is that once you have a player signed into PlayFab, you can just call Client/GetPhotonAuthenticationToken to get a signin token, which you can then use as a Custom Authentication Token to sign into Photon (https://doc.photonengine.com/en/realtime/current/reference/custom-authentication).

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.