question

brendan avatar image
brendan asked

Player account changes on iOS

Question from a developer:

I'm seeing a problem where I testing my game on iPhone/iPad, I'm getting a different PlayFab ID/account, even though I haven't changed devices. Why is that?

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The iOS devices generate a unique ID for the device for your apps the first time one is installed - and removed that ID if all your apps are un-installed. So basically, anytime the number of apps from your developer account on the device is zero, you're going to lose that ID.

The best way to avoid this issue is to use the iTunes Keychain to store the first Device ID you see for the user, though you'll still want to send other device info (OS version, for instance) on login, for your analytics. But for testing purposes (TestFlight, for example, tends to remove the old version of the app, then add the new one, so it can cause this), you could simply create a second "dummy" app that you install to your device, so that it's always present regardless of any un-install/re-install you do for your main app.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

eastedge avatar image eastedge commented ·

Hi Brendan. To clarify, if a user is just updating (did not uninstall the app) it will retain the same ID, correct? Meaning their progress won't be lost on update because it will recognize it as the same device, correct?

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan eastedge commented ·

That should be the case, The exception would be if the app were uninstalled before the new version was installed. We did see that a long time ago, but I believe Apple have ensured that updates don't work that way since. If they have any regression there however, that could cause your players to get new IDs. The Keychain store would be the way to prevent issues, in any case.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.