question

Montana Tuska avatar image
Montana Tuska asked

UE4 Server log can’t be found/404

With a build being hosted on PlayFab, I am able to get the server to start fine, and let it run for a while. Now, when it crashed due to some assert I was able to retrieve a log file. Now, when I choose to terminate an active game(via the active games page) it does not retain any log files, and instead I get that the log file page cannot be found(HTTP 404). I am able to successfully connect to the server and play. Downloading the output files zip produces no files as well. Any info you can tell me would be helpful.

Lobby Id: B8EEB05010678682 or C143ACC75A31A952

Title Id: 83FF

unrealgame manager
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

There aren't any builds in the title right now (https://developer.playfab.com/en-us/83FF/servers/builds), so I can't really check them. The simple answer is that if there's a correctly named log file in the correct folder when the server instance stops running - whether cleanly or due to a crash - and the EC2 server itself doesn't fall over (rare, but it can happen), the log file is always captured. For Unreal servers, the main thing to check is that you're using ABSLOG, as described in the tutorial (https://api.playfab.com/docs/tutorials/landing-tournaments/custom-game-servers). If you are, and you're still not seeing the log files, please let us know the next time you see this, and be sure to not shut down the server host machine. That way, we can log into it directly, and let you know what has been written to the log file folder.

9 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska commented ·

Sorry, yes I always drop the build after some quick tests, as I don't need the previous builds... I do use abslog and as I said, when it was crashing due to assert, the log was grabbed. However when I terminate an active game running properly, I couldn't get that log file. I don't anymore then that, was hoping you may be able to shed some light on it. Next time I'll keep the build and server on and get back to you. This'll probably be tomorrow or so.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Montana Tuska commented ·

How exactly are you terminating the game? If you're removing the region from the active list or deleting the build, that would prevent us from being able to get the log file, as the server host is disabled when that happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska brendan commented ·

I terminate the game by checking the box next to the server on the Active Games page and clicking terminate. Then after all games have been terminated and archived I delete the build.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska commented ·

Sorry, been busy for a while... Build is running now.

TitleId: 83FF

ServerId: i-010ebd1476a3000f7

LobbyId: 74D8D1CDD06CC139

Do take a look when you have the chance, I'll leave the server running until you do.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Montana Tuska commented ·

Thanks - that helped. Once I logged onto it, I could see that the log files were where they should be, but that you still had a process running which had the files open. So it looks like we were blocked from copying the files off. I did kill that process, but it had been long enough that we'd stopped retrying the read, it looks like. If you can get the process to halt when the server instance stops, you should be good.

0 Likes 0 ·
Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska brendan commented ·

That's interesting... Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.