question

brian avatar image
brian asked

Problems regarding Generic ID

Hi,

I am trying with `AddGenericId` client API call and might have linked a generic ID to a PlayFab player that was subsequently deleted.

If I try to link the same generic ID to another player, the API gives me an error stating that the generic ID has already been taken.

I then tried calling `GetPlayFabIdFromGenericIDs`, it simply gave me a result *without* PlayFab ID:

{

"code": 200,

"status": "OK",

"data": {

"Data": [

{

"GenericId": {

"ServiceName": "SomeProvider",

"UserId": "5700364439388160"

}

}

]

}

}

Tried RemoveGenericId as well, also without luck, as it only allows removing generic ID of the current user, for which I can't locate.

So, I wonder:

1. if `GetPlayFabIdFromGenericIDs` is not behaving correctly when a deleted account is involved?
  2. if there are ways to manage Generic IDs from Server / Admin APIs?

Thanks!

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The essential problem is a misunderstanding on how PlayFab accounts work:

The player account, while created for a title, has a core that is at the Publisher ID level. The idea is that you have a player create an account, link it to other login mechanisms, and then that's all shared between titles, with each title having its own title-specific data for the player (user data, statistics, etc.).

When you delete an account, it is queued for deletion - and during that period, attempts to re-use it may fail, as it's being processed to remove all the title-specific components.

So in this case, the account details are already claimed because there's a pre-existing account that has that account linked. If you delete the player account from the title the publisher layer still exists.

If you want to re-use Generic ID details in a different account, you'll have to first remove it from the original account using https://api.playfab.com/documentation/Client/method/RemoveGenericID. If you've deleted the account, you'll need to first re-create it in the title using one of the credential methods linked to it (device ID, Facebook, Google, etc.).

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.