question

Montana Tuska avatar image
Montana Tuska asked

Matchmaker/StartGame Error

You can call Matchmaker/StartGame with external servers turn on, and it will return a LobbyId and ServerPort of 0. I know it should be returning an error saying, "Cannot launch game server instance because title configured to use external game server provider". May want to error over there to. Port 0 servers don't do too much good.

Custom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

Yes, the Matchmaker API is not compatible with external server hosting. The whole point to the Matchmaker API is to give developers a way to have their own matchmaker server which directs players to games hosted in PlayFab. I'll file a bug to get the docs updated to clarify this.

6 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska commented ·

No, the error was that you can call on Client/matchmake and it returns that it cannot launch a server due to the external game provider setting. When you call Matchmaker/StartGame, it gives you no error, but instead still creates a new LobbyId and gives a server port of 0.

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Montana Tuska commented ·

The error from the post above concerns solely the Matchmaker API. My recommendation to the engineering team is that all Matchmaker API calls should return an error if external hosting is turned on, as they are fundamentally incompatible.

For the Client/Matchmake call, we are not able to start servers dynamically if you are hosting externally. That error message is correct.

0 Likes 0 ·
Montana Tuska avatar image Montana Tuska brendan commented ·

My point is that, Matchmaker/StartGame does NOT return an eror with external hosting enabled. I understand that they don't work together as it stands, but there is no error actually being returned! instead, I get a VALID lobby id, with no server host and a server port of 0.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.