question

Daniel Wynne avatar image
Daniel Wynne asked

Playfab account keeps getting associated with wrong Master Player and Title Player.

I have a leaderboard system that uses LoginWithCustomID using c# SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier for the purposes of posting to leaderboards. This has been working fine for years. Recently a player has experienced the following issue: They create an account, choose a name, and soon after, their name changes and someone else is posting scores on their account. On the back end I can see their device id is now linked to a different Master Player and Title Player. I delete the account so the player can sign up again, I see on the back end the device id is the same as before, and then after a day the account is again linked to the wrong Master/Title player. This is happening from a Steam Deck. Any ideas what the issue might be? Thank you!

Account Management
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

Since we are not familiar with Steam Deck, we don't know whether it is reliable to obtain the device ID of Steam Deck through SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier. Assume that in this way it is possible for players to obtain the same device id, in your case, after the player registered and logged in through API LoginWithCustomID, he found that his custom id was linked to another master player account id, then the following two situations may cause this issue.

The one possible situation is: When another player logs in, this player calls the API LinkCustomID which sets "ForceLink" to "true" in the request parameter (it will unlink another user who has linked to this custom id and relink this custom id to his account), if this player uses the same custom id as player A, the situation you mentioned will also occur.

Another situation is : After player A registered an account through API LoginWithCustomID, he then called API UnlinkCustomID to unlink the related custom identifier from his PlayFab account. Later, if player B use the same custom ID when registering accounts via API LoginWithCustomID, the situation you described will occur.

You can check the related "player_unlinked_account" and "player_linked_account" events in the data explorer to determine which situation it is. If these two events occur almost at the same time, then it should be the first situation I mentioned (there was another player call LinkCustomID). In addition, we recommend that you may add some recoverable login mechanisms to your game so that players can still log into their accounts even if there is a problem when logging in via the device id. For more info, please refer to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/playfab/features/authentication/login/login-basics-best-practices#recoverable-login-mechanisms .

1 comment
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Daniel Wynne avatar image Daniel Wynne commented ·

Great info, much appreciated!

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.