question

fig avatar image
fig asked

Async Elimination style Tournament

Hi,

I'm looking to implement an async Elimination style Tournament for my game. Meaning the following: a player chooses to join in the tournament, enters a pool of let's say 8 players, server will match players 1v1 and they have 24 hours to play maybe 3 games and the accumulated score for those games will be used to determine the winner between two players. Player's will play those games totally on their own, they won't be playing at the same time, I only take the score from their sessions. Once the 24 hours pass, winners will advance into a pool of 4 and repeat the process until only one is left. If one tournament like this is full when joining, I want to be able to create other tournaments in parallel.

Is this something already supported, or can I achieve this by using Azure scripts to generate leaderboards and manipulate them and assign players automatically?

Leaderboards and Statistics
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Infer Wang avatar image
Infer Wang answered

PlayFab provides the matchmaking feature to help match players. You can set the match size as 8 and implement the match flow in your custom server. Using Azure scripts or leaderboards isn’t a good way, since it won’t store match result and leaderboard has limit. 6823-image.png

image.png (8.7 KiB)
4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

fig avatar image fig commented ·

"Using Azure scripts or leaderboards isn’t a good way, since it won’t store match result and leaderboard has limit." Sounds like a challenge. Challenge accepted!

How about this. I make a leaderboard for each step of the tournament. These leaderboards are just for me to keep track of players, won't be shown. Whenever a player joins, an azure script enters him/her in the first leaderboard with a score of 0, looks through the other players to find a player without an opponent. For these two I store eachother's playfab ID in a readonly field, After the step of the tournament finished, a script will go through the players in the leaderboard, selects the winners and enters them in the following leaderboard. Until there can be only one!

0 Likes 0 ·
Infer Wang avatar image Infer Wang fig commented ·

PlayFab leaderboard has amount limit(no more than 300), if you make a playfab leaderboard for each step of the tournament will finally exceed the limit. However, if you create your custom leaderboard for the tournament, I think your plan is feasible. 6835-image.png

0 Likes 0 ·
image.png (80.9 KiB)
fig avatar image fig Infer Wang commented ·

300 players or 300 leaderboards?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.