question

pajlombaard avatar image
pajlombaard asked

Displayed Player Country is wrong

Hi there,

The displayed player country 'Afghanistan' is completely wrong. I'm not sure how PlayFab interprets the player IP addresses but the country should be 'South Africa'.

The Title ID is 45F0.

Regards

Pieter

country.jpg (74.9 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
brendan avatar image
brendan answered

The way IP geolocation lookups work is that everyone doing that uses a table of known locations. While those tables are highly accurate, they're not 100%, so there will always be a small percentage of IPs that report incorrect locations. Annoying, I realize, but since an IP Address doesn't actually indicate a geolocation directly, it's the necessary route to collecting that data. Can you give me the actual IP Address in question, so that we can log that as feedback on the table?

5 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pajlombaard avatar image pajlombaard commented ·

Hi Brendan, the IP address is 102.250.63.112. Thanks :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Brent Batas (Lisk) avatar image Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

I'm experiencing the same issue.

Example IP: 185.176.29.125

Reports as AF, but should be SE.

This website detects it correctly:

https://tools.keycdn.com/geo?host=185.176.29.125

0 Likes 0 ·
brendan avatar image brendan Brent Batas (Lisk) commented ·

Thanks, we're filing these as tickets on our provider's lookup table.

0 Likes 0 ·
joel-3 avatar image joel-3 brendan commented ·

Same happening for me, It is reporting my location to be Perth, when I'm in Sydney.

IP: 220.244.96.134

Should be Syd, but is coming up Perth :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.