question

CyberLight Game Studio avatar image
CyberLight Game Studio asked

UE5 PlayFabSDK+SubsystemPlayFab Lobby/Party Invites

Hello, I'm trying to make a system that will provide the following process for players:

1) Player1 sends a party/lobby invitation.

2) Player2 accepts the invitation.

3) Players get a shared text chat and voice chat.

4) Player1 initiates matchmaking.

5) Player2 receives matchmaking start notification.

6) Players connect to the game.

I decided to go with the lobby but discovered that the PlayFabSDK plugin does not have callbacks.

The documentation says that you need to use SubsystemPlayFab for the lobby and party. However, after generating the engine project, the Platforms folder does not appear with the files necessary for the lobby code, such as "Party.h" and "PFLobby.h"

6639-image-2023-12-02-21-18-33.png

6640-image-2023-12-02-21-19-06.png

Is it possible to make callbacks using PlayFabSDK only? If not, what can I do to make the Platforms folder visible in Visual Studio so I can use "Party.h"?

The documentation contains examples of code for invites, but it does not indicate which headers are needed for this. lobby-invites If I'm moving in the wrong direction, please tell me what to do.

Best regards.

unrealFriendsMatchmaking
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

If you want to have text chat and voice chat feature in Unreal Engine, PlayFab SDK alone may not be sufficient for your needs , you have to use the PlayFab OnlineSubsystem (OSS).

Have you follow the PlayFab Online Subsystem (OSS) Quickstart - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn to setting up? After you finish the initial setting up, then you may follow the PlayFab Online Subsystem (OSS) Quickstart - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn to use the PlayFab OSS. In addition, since PlayFab OSS layer works seamlessly on top of the existing base platform OSS layers (such as the base GDK OSS layer provided by Epic for Xbox and PC Game Pass). It's designed to be used behind the IOnlineSession interface provided by Epic, you may also refer to Online Subsystem Session Interface in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation to learn how to use OSS.

2 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

CyberLight Game Studio avatar image CyberLight Game Studio commented ·

From what I can see, the Session Interface only has one call OnSessionInviteReceived. Is it ok to receive a lobby invite? How can I join lobby if this call does not return a connection string?

6625-image-2023-12-04-15-11-11.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha CyberLight Game Studio commented ·

Since PlayFab OSS has encapsulated Lobby, Matchmaking and Party function according to the UE OSS interface, it cannot be used like the Client SDK. After getting the IOnlineSessionPtr with GetSessionInterface method, you will need to refer to Epic's documentation Online Subsystem Session Interface in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation and IOnlineSession | Unreal Engine Documentation to learn how to use OSS. With OSS, you should be able to join lobbies with IOnlineSession::JoinSession().

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.