question

1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 asked

Blog Discussion: Update your Push Notifications to use FCM

This is a discussion room for feedback and questions about the new push notification update blog.

Bring your praise, pitchforks, and torches here please.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1807605288 avatar image
1807605288 answered

UPDATE:

I have made a pass to update most of our core documentation pages to reflect this change. One document needs major changes and has been labeled "under construction", but most others should be good.

The server changes for this update are being deployed now, and will be available later today.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

psanchez avatar image
psanchez answered

On Android, in the previous version of the push notifications plugin, it was your plugin the one that handled the build of the notification. I tweaked it to add a default value for the large icon on Build.VERSION.SDK_INT>= LOLLIPOP.

In this version, it's the firebase plugin the one that handles the build of the notifications. Is there a way to set the large icon?

Can it be set in the manifest with something similar to this line?

<meta-dataandroid:name="com.google.firebase.messaging.default_notification_icon"android:resource="@drawable/ic_stat_notification" />

Or maybe in the Custom data in the playfab dashboad?

Regards.

1 comment
10 |1200

1807605288 avatar image 1807605288 ♦ commented ·

Currently, a separate large icon field can only be done via the

List< AdvancedPushPlatformMsg>

"AdvancedPlatformDelivery" property which provides your json EXACTLY to the target device (not auto-interpreted for you into pre-defined valid fields). This is an advanced option and you need to read the FCM documentation to use it properly. If you can use this, great. It is a very advanced, and mostly undocumented feature, so use at your own risk.

However, your feature request is still a good idea, so I'll add a backlog task for it. This will not be a priority task, so it could be several months before large icons are a fully supported feature.

0 Likes 0 ·
info-9 avatar image
info-9 answered

Hi Paul and Playfab Team,

the last months I've been working on other sides of my project so I didn't follow all the Playfab release notes. Now I came back and saw what you've done on the push notification front and just want to shout out a big praise! I was one of the guys who littered the forum with pitchforks and torches about the push functionality and think you did exactly the right thing. Your solution actually solves my struggles in many ways: e.g. I can specify more fields for iOS-push, or I can even define the JSON to any of my custom wishes, thats just great!

So, Playfab, that's what I call professional: You recognised a way as unlucky („Playfab Push Plugin“) and didn't resile from consequently closing it down to go a better way. Thank you!

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.