question

Mubarak Almehairbi avatar image
Mubarak Almehairbi asked

Player data vs Objects vs Files vs Entities vs UGC for backup large save slots

Hi, I am creating a game where a player can have multiple save slots (json files) on their device. In addition, players should be able to backup their data on the cloud.

My question is that: which feature is the ideal for uploading save slots in playfab? Note that the game contains some building like building houses etc. so there is a possibility that the file size exceeds 1 MB.

These are the methods I know of:

1. Player Data

2. Player Objects

3. Player Files

4. New Entity (Data/Objects/Files)

5. UGC

I believe UGC is the ideal, I just want to confirm that.

Player DataIn-Game EconomyPlayer Inventory
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

The UGC is a feature of Economy v2, which empowers players to create, upload, and search for moderated content, if you just want to upload player’s game save data on PlayFab, then we don’t suggest you use it. The player data has a limit of 300,000 bytes value, and there is no limit about the number of keys. About Entity File, there is no specified limit on the size of a single entity file, the size of all title level entity files is 50,000 gigabytes, and a single title player account/master player account has a limit of 10 entity files. You can find all specified limits in Game Manager -> Title Settings - > Limit. And the Entity objects have a size limit of 1000 bytes, we don’t recommend you use it. So, we suggest you may consider use entity file to save your game data.

10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kylemc@microsoft.com avatar image
kylemc@microsoft.com answered

I'd also suggest you look at Entity Files first. It's designed for this sort of thing.

However, we've had large customers ship game saves on UGC as well. It's a flexible system that supports many different kinds of usage patterns. It may be a little overpowered for what you plan on doing, but that's a judgement call for you to make.

To make the decision, go through the API docs and the pricing plans for the two features to understand how your usage will look on PlayFab and then pick the option that works best for you.

https://playfab.com/pricing/

10 |1200

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.