question

thomasobrienbusiness avatar image
thomasobrienbusiness asked

Unable to Deploy UE5 Dedicated Servers - Steam cant init - Unhealthy status

Hi all,

I'm making a post here about this situation since I've exhausted other resources, scanned through a lot of docs, youtube videos, discord servers, and even made a reddit post. My problem still remains despite a lot of configurations to the server build. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm trying to set up dedicated servers for an UE5 (UE 5.2.1) multiplayer game using PlayFab for matchmaking. I got as far as creating matchmaking tickets and such, now I just needed deployed dedicated servers to join and test. Here's the process I follow (based on docks and Betide Studio's youtube video for dedicated server ue5 with playfab):

1. Package UE5 for Shipping

2. Make sure all dlls are in Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\Steamworks\Steamv153\Win64 of the package

3. Go to PlayFab Game Manager, multiplayer, servers, add new build

4. Set these options:

• TestBuild for title

• Container, Windows

• 4 Cores

• Start Command: C:\Assets\ProtoPlaneFootball.exe (that's the name of my project)

• Region: EastUS, 2 stand by 4 max servers

• gameport 7777 udp

• UE5-TCP 7777 tcp
    1. Add Build

Then, after it's done deploying, I receive an unhealthy status and the servers have PendingHeartbeat as their state. When checking the logs of the servers, at first I received: https://pastebin.com/b0Cg7j1D

Then, when I did the same steps except with a dev build so I can inspect logs, I receive: https://pastebin.com/aSae9aiH

I really don't know what to do from here, been on this issue for a few days. Would very much appreciate some help on deploying a ue5 dedicated server, thank you in advance

unrealCustom Game Servers
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Xiao Zha avatar image
Xiao Zha answered

Since the logs you provided don't seem to be related to PlayFab, may I know if you followed the documentation: GSDK Project Setup - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn to integrate the PlayFab GSDK with your dedicate server? Also, you may follow the Debug Container-based game servers using LocalMultiplayerAgent - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn and GSDK Project Testing and Debugging - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn to use LocalMultiplayerAgent to debug the server locally before deploying it.

4 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

thomasobrienbusiness avatar image thomasobrienbusiness commented ·

Hello! Yea, I followed the GSDK integration documentation (im able to call the methods and blueprint nodes). I have yet to set up LMA, found that to be quite challenging. Will do that later today and see what comes up

0 Likes 0 ·
thomasobrienbusiness avatar image thomasobrienbusiness commented ·

Okay, I tested it on LMA. I still receive a Waiting for heartbeat... log after it opened up the lobby map

0 Likes 0 ·
JayZuo avatar image JayZuo ♦ thomasobrienbusiness commented ·

The error indicates there are some issues with SteamAPI.

{"log":"LogSteamShared: Warning: SteamAPI failed to initialize, conditions not met.\r\n","stream":"stdout","time":"2023-10-23T15:05:48.589104Z"}

You may seek help from Steam first.

1 Like 1 ·
Xiao Zha avatar image Xiao Zha thomasobrienbusiness commented ·

Heartbeat is simply scheduled https calls to track the server build health state, if it is pending on waiting for heartbeat, there should be issues on your code. You may add some debug sentence in your server build to check if your code execute correctly. You may also check if it is lack of DLLs -- Determining required DLLs for Windows game servers - PlayFab | Microsoft Docs.

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.