question

davidm avatar image
davidm asked

UnrealPrerequsities

Hello,

I am attempting to host a simple Unreal Engine 5.2 build on playfab. I have gone through the tutorial steps on https://learn.microsoft.com/. Keeping it simple, my build configuration is to execute as a process.

I get unhealthy builds, with the log file revealing this error.

Fatal error: [File:C:\Users\path\to\project\Plugins\PlayFabGSDK\Source\PlayFabGSDK\Private\GSDKInternal.cpp] [Line: 64] 
     LogWindows: Error: Heartbeat endpoint and Server id are required configuration values.

I came across this question/"solution" https://community.playfab.com/questions/62163/playfab-windows-server-with-process-no-container.html which helped me identify I had the same issue. i.e. If I manually run the UnrealPrerequsities.exe, via rdp, the server runs successfully.

Unfortunately the above link does not explain how to create a build with the desired DLLs, nor does the MS docs (maybe I missed something).

I have included app-local prerequisites as the docs suggest 6382-image.png

Have I missed something? How do I get the PF to run the server as a process, without manual intervention.

unreal
image.png (9.3 KiB)
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
Neils Shi avatar image
Neils Shi answered

For the missing DLLs, you can refer to Determining required DLLs for Windows game servers - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn. And we suggest you debug your game server locally before deploying it. For more information, please refer to Locally debugging game servers and integration with PlayFab - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn.

9 comments
10 |1200

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

davidm avatar image davidm commented ·

we suggest you debug your game server locally before deploying it.

Apologies my fault, I meant to say in the post I did locally debug it, and all was fine. However I only debugged it on my machine, which has all the Prerequsities installed.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidm avatar image davidm commented ·

Not 100% sure I have done this correctly. I have followed the steps you suggested which this pointed me to a bunch of system32 DLLs which the local server is using. I copied them to the same directory as the game's dlls (bit weird because the server already contains these as its a windows Server)

There was also a missing dbghelp.dll - however this dll is in the external assets folder, so i skipped that.

However after uploading to a new build I get the same issue.

manually running the server.exe via rdp results in this message, prompting me to run the UnrealPrerequsities.exe 6388-image.png

0 Likes 0 ·
image.png (5.2 KiB)
Neils Shi avatar image Neils Shi davidm commented ·

As Determining required DLLs for Windows game servers - PlayFab | Microsoft Learn mentions that : To determine which additional DLLs are needed, compare the list of DLLs for your game server with the list of DLLs included in the managed container image. Any additional DLLs must be included in your asset zip file. So, could you add all the missing dlls (include dbghelp.dll) and try again? And UnrealPrerequsities.exe is an installer that installs and configures the various dependencies and necessary support libraries required to run Unreal Engine, if message prompt you to run the UnrealPrerequsities.exe, it means that you may be missing some necessary components that UE needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
davidm avatar image davidm Neils Shi commented ·

Thank you for your response.

DLLs included in the managed container image

As mentioned in the OP my build config is set to use process not server.

in your asset zip file.

What file is this? The zip file that contains the server.exe? if so I have placed all the .dlls in the root of this zip file - this did not work.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.